Monday, December 31, 2012

Book 48: How to Mellify a Corpse Vicki Leon


I love ancient Greek and Roman history, so when I came across this book I just had to pick it up.  I needed to know what mellifying was, although now I feel that must have heard this term before when I was reading about Alexander the Great.  I swear I think school is exhausting me so much that I’m getting dumber.

Simply put, this book details some of the scientific and philosophical beliefs in the ancient western world.  Of course at the time philosophy and science were one and the same, so you really can’t talk about one without the other.  There are also stories just about the superstitions and the just plain crazy shit that these people did or claimed to have done. 

Leon divides the book into geographical sections and provides these stories and beliefs with much needed humor.  This is a book that isn’t dry at all, unlike so many other histories, and I blew right through it.  It was an odd little book, but one that I enjoyed quite a bit; I might even read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment