Monday, December 31, 2012

Book 34: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling


The final installment in the series is one of the strongest in my opinion.  I’m even okay with the tacked on epilogue.  I never thought that I would enjoy a book that spends so much of the time having the main characters brooding in the woods, but I do. 

After another disturbing opening that highlights Voldemort’s cruelty, Harry is getting ready to leave his aunt and uncle’s house for the last time.  He has an incredibly awkward goodbye with them before flying off to safety surrounded by a group of Harry clones and bodyguards.  When the deatheaters attack, not everyone survives, setting up the book for one filled with heavy casualties.  Harry, Hermione, and Ron eventually have to run off on their own to try and destroy the remaining horcruxes before Voldemort figures out what they’re up to.  All of this leads to the final showdown between deatheaters and forces at Hogwarts loyal to Harry.

I have a really difficult time trying to figure out what to say in most of my reviews but especially in these past several.  The Harry Potter series has been talked about so many times by people much more eloquent than me.  I’m not saying this to be self-deprecating; I just genuinely don’t know how to convey why I like these books so much.  I don’t think that they are perfect, but I love them and I know that I will reread them multiple times just to get lost in that world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment