Monday, December 31, 2012

Book 28: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling


I reread this series every year or two.  I keep waiting to be sick of it but it has not happened yet.  I guess I enjoy the way that Rowling transports the reader to another world, just slightly to the side of our own.

Harry Potter grew up with his cruel aunt, uncle, and cousin after the sudden death of his parents.  He was always treated shabbily by his family—being forced to sleep in a cupboard, never having new clothes, always going hungry, etc.  On his eleventh birthday he discovers that his not an ordinary boy, he is a wizard.  He finds out that his parents died trying to protect him from Lord Voldemort, an evil wizard who disappeared the night that he tried to kill Harry.  Voldemort’s supposed death at Harry’s hands has made him a celebrity in the wizarding word, so when he starts at Hogwarts Harry is instantly famous.  Many want to be his friend, while others despise him for bringing about the end of Voldemort’s reign of terror.  While trying to navigate this new and unfamiliar world, he has to determine whom to trust and has to fight enemies that were assumed to be dead.

I’m sure that most of you had read this, which makes it difficult to review.  I obviously love these books, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say they are my favorites.  These are simply a lot of fun and great entries into young adult fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment